Before you being an Apocalypse Dungeon it is important that everyone understands the kind of game
they’re about to play.
What kind of game is it?
- Difficult. The challenges in an Apocalypse Dungeon are designed to be especially difficult, requiring delvers to multitask, balance risk, adapt their strategies to complex scenarios, and decide on courses of action with often incomplete information while under a time limit.
- Deadly. Delvers will die quickly and often, sometimes as a result of instant death and save-or-die effects. The consequences for failure are severe.
- Lucrative. The rewards found in Apocalypse Dungeons are rare, and very powerful.
- Over-the-Top. Apocalypse Dungeons are built with extravagant threats and adventure sites that are both intense and gruesome.
- Bleak. The world in which Apocalypse Dungeons take place is grim, amoral, violent, and unhappy.
- Dungeon-Centered. Nearly all Apocalypse Dungeons are traditional dungeon delves in the spirit of Tomb of Horrors, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and other classic modules.
- Game-Oriented. An Apocalypse Dungeon emphasizes the delver’s struggle to ‘win’ the module by overcoming the challenges presented to them by the Game Master. Delver skill takes center stage in many Apocalypse Dungeon encounters. Meta-gaming is expected and encouraged.